THE HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF BARANGAY MAGALLANES

  1. HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE BARANGAY

During this reference year 2012 there was no existing and definite written document about the history of the barangay. However the workshop participants during the Focused Group Discussion (FGD) conducted where members of the Barangay Development Council and some elder residents are both participants and respondents. According to the Barangay Development Council, the place was already inhabited even during Spanish Regime. Elders assumed during that time , Spaniards discovered the place where fruit trees particularly mango are abundant in the area. People and micro vendors from nearby places visited this area to buy mango and other fruits. Years later, Spaniards called the place Magallanes.

On July 19, 1957,  by virtue of SB Resolution Number 79-57 and R.A 35-90, paves the way to the birth of Barangay Magallanes as a separate barangay from Barangay Claver  as its mother barangay. Hon. Roman Tadem was then the first  Teniente del Barrio.

 

  1. CREATION OF BARANGAY

Barangay Magallanes was officially created on July 19, 1957 by virtue of SB Resolution Number 79-57 and R.A 35-90. The first Teniente  del Barrio was Mr. Roman Tadem. The residents were involved in the community settlement. The houses were located in the plain and strategic areas of the barangay. Over the years of more than a decade after the Second World War, the barangay have grown in size in terms of population. Such increase in population is an evident to its natural growth in population. Also, the opportunity for agriculture production  in the area and in the adjacent barangays also generated in-migration.

The barangay operates by virtue of Republic Act No. 3590, also known as the Barangay Charter and reinforced by Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the 1991 Local Government  Code, the basic law that governs the organization and administration of the barangay government  granting them greater autonomy in the administration  of their resources.

The barangay being the lowest political unit have a direct contact with the people assuming primary role in the delivery  of essential public services. The main goal is to attain development  through  the delivery of the basic social, economic and various development services with an adequate legislative and administrative support mechanism.

 

  1. BRIEF SOCIO-CULTURAL AND ECONOMIC HISTORY

In the early years, social services were very limited. There was no health center  and only a primary school is available. Decades after its creation, social services  were improved including the construction of health center, the presence of complete elementary school, as well as the improvement  of its access road and bridges.

On the other hand, means of living seems to be difficult since the main source of livelihood depends on farming and fishing. The operation of Taganito Mining  Corporation and other mining companies in the municipality opened doors of employment to some residents. At present  there are about five mining companies assumed  its operation in the adjacent barangays of Barangay Magallanes.

Further, the  shared efforts of the present administration and the constituents towards socio-economic development as well as  the various  stakeholders especially the presence  of the mining companies in the adjacent  barangays considering its contribution to local employment, shares from excise taxes and the implementation of SDMP will hopefully  boost the local economy in the succeeding years and greatly  contribute towards the realization of this Barangay Development Plan.

GENERAL INFORMATION

 

  1. Creation/Historical Background
  2. Legal Basis : SB Resolution/RA/35-90 79-57
  3. Date of Ratification : July 19, 1957
  4. Mother Barangay/s : Barangay Claver
  5. Old Name, if renamed: NONE

 

  1. Type of Barangay : Magallanes is classified as a Rural Barangay
  2. Location, Accessibility, Boundaries and Distance

Barangay Magallanes, Claver, Surigao del Norte  is located in an adjacent areas in the northwestern part of the Poblacion of Claver  and the ridge spurring out of the Diwata Mountain Range. This ridge is actually just out into the coastal area fronting the Hinatuan Passage or Candos Bay. Its area stretches from barangays  Daywan, Ladgaron and Bagakay in the Municipality of Claver.

It is about three kilometers away from the Poblacion of Claver and sixty kilometers southeast of Surigao City and is accessible  by means of the RP-Japan Highway up to Bad-as and then by coastal national highway leading to Surigao del Sur. It takes about an hour by jeep or by bus from Surigao City, the nearest city.

From Manila, available airlines are Air Philippines and Cebu Pacific that fly daily to Surigao City. Other route can be also accessed daily  from Manila-Butuan via Philippine Airlines  and Cebu Pacific. Other flights originate from Cebu and may be  taken if coming  from the place  or on connecting flights. If water transport is opted, there are inter-island passenger  or cargo vessels making daily calls at the Port of Surigao City with destination to Cebu City and twice a week for Manila.

Buses (PP Bus and Philtranco) in going to and  from Manila are also available in a daily basis.

 

Boundaries:

North    : Sea

East        : Brgy. Bagakay

West     : Brgy. Villafranco, Gigaquit

South    :Brgy. Daywan

 

Distance from the Barangay to:

Municipal Hall                    : 3 kms.

Provincial Capitol:            : 60 kms.

National Highway             : 3.1 kms.